Summer is here and that means it’s officially wear-dresses-all-the-time-season as well. Dresses are the perfect closet staple for warm weather for so many reasons; they’re comfortable, keep you cool, and they’re a great way to look put together with mostly minimal effort. That last reason is my favorite because well…#newmomlife haha 🙂 Maxi dresses are my favorite because I can be all over the place with my kiddo without worrying about giving the world a show.
But how do you take a basic maxi and make it more stylish?
I’ve taken a basic black maxi dress and styled it 5 different ways to showcase just how versatile this staple closet item can be.
- As is, with the right accessories
- On a really hot day, my favorite way to style a maxi is just to wear it as is, but give the outfit a little extra something by playing up my accessories.
- With a Graphic Tee
- It’s no secret that I love a good graphic tee, and adding one on top of your maxi gives it just the right amount of edge.
- With a Jean Jacket
- A good jean jacket is a must-have in everyone’s closet. I love throwing on a jean jacket over a maxi in the evening as the weather starts to cool down.
- With a Kimono
- Kimonos add the perfect pop of color and pattern to a basic maxi dress. And they’re lightweight enough to be worn even on the warmest of days! This would be a great option for the office too!
- Okay so, if I’m being truthful, this probably counts under the “as is” way to style a maxi, but I think adding a knot to the bottom of dresses/skirts can totally change the way your outfit looks.
If you’re looking for some great options for a basic maxi dress to add to your closet I’ve provided some links below to a few of my tried and true pieces that won’t break the bank!
Old Navy – This dress comes in black and rust.
Amazon – Comes in multiple colors, very soft and has adjustable straps! Also BFF (breastfeeding friendly).